Friday, March 4, 2011

Strength Training for Runners

I maybe the only person crazy enough to train for a marathon while doing an extreme weight training program like Cathe Friedrich's STS.  Well, a half marathon anyway.  I'll finish this 3-1/ month program a couple of weeks before the half marathon I signed up for.  After that, I'll do something a little less taxing as I build up to the longer runs before the marathon.

A lot of runners don't do any strength training.  The theory is that muscle mass will slow runners down, and that is true after a certain point.  But I'm not trying to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger, just get stronger.  And I subscribe to the theory that building strong muscle mass supports my joints, protects my connective tissue, and increases my potential power.

This is one of those hot topics in running, along with MP3 players and barefoot running.  Both sides have their arguments.  For the record, I listen to my iPod 2 out of every 3 runs and I wear regular running shoes.  And I strength train.

Like I said, I am not trying to be a body builder.  That, I think, would slow me down - just too much extra mass to carry around.  But a small, strong body gives me power.  Strong muscles make me less prone to injuries and promote a higher metabolism.  And strength training promotes muscle endurance, so it helps me run longer and farther.

But wait a minute, didn't I admit the program I am doing is a little too taxing for those training for a marathon?  Yep, you heard that right.  That's why I'm a little crazy right now.  I am doing an extreme strength building program while training for a half marathon.  I do not recommend anyone try this at home. 

What I do recommend is endurance training, and that's what I'm going back to in April. 

Since you're still here, if you haven't already, please click on the link on the right side of the page and donate to my fundraising campaign for LLS.  I'm in a race to fight cancer!

Thanks! Mona

No comments:

Post a Comment