Thursday, March 10, 2011

What scares a runner?

Long distance running is not for the faint of heart.  Some of you might be wondering where that internal fortitude comes from and what might leave me a little weak in the knees.

First of all, I've never run a marathon before.  So, while I am powering along adding mile after mile to the long runs, it is a little intimidating.  That said, I once hiked the longest trail in the Muir Woods park with no training whatsoever (7 hours!!!) so I am confident in my stamina.  The physical challenge is achievable.

What is scary to me is the financial commitment.  In order to get the expert advice of Team in Training, I committed to raising $2,900 to fight blood cancers.  That's a whole lotta moolah!

Sure, I could have joined a running club, but I have a split lifestyle syndrome, with weekends at the Bolivar beaches and weekdays in the Houston metropolitan area.  That makes running clubs and their usual weekend runs a little challenging.

So, I choose to work with Team in Training.  They have both weekend and weekday workouts and they don't count it against you if you don't make every weekend training.  They are gentle and supportive and promise to help their runners finish a marathon "as comfortably as possible."  I'm all about that.

What's scary?  I'm about to need to re-commit with only 25% of my total achieved.  That's a pretty big financial commitment to make.  A 26.2 mile gut check vs. my checkbook at the beginning of the year.  No contest.

I'm a little panicked.  My stomach if flip-flopping all over the place.  So if you've made it this far, consider this: if you donate $10, I will pin your name to my shoes when I run that marathon (this includes everyone who has already donated).  If you donate $25, I will pin your name on my sleeves when I run.  How about $50?  That'll get you a spot on my hat.  $100? The front of the jersey.  $150?  The back of the jersey.  And for a total donation of $250, I will make an iron transfer and run with your name on my butt.  So many options to join me on the marathon.  You can even pace me all the way across the finish line!

Folks, 75% of every dollar donated goes directly to the fight against blood cancers.  You will not get mailing labels or special occasion cards in the mail from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  I am their advertising, and am willing to be your personal billboard to prove it.  Please, consider helping me fight cancer.  I've had it.  It's a scary diagnosis.  But more and more of us can live the rest of our lives cancer free thanks to research and new medical procedures.

Start Slow, Finish Strong!

Mona

No comments:

Post a Comment