Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Training update: Attitude is everything

35 miles.   That's what I logged in total last week, between my solo runs, Team in Training, and walking with the family. Made my eyes pop out when I uploaded my data from my Garmin Forerunner this morning.  I had to double and then triple and even quadruple check the thing, but it is correct.  35 miles in one week.

So this is the week I buy a fuel belt.  You know, those things you see people wearing around their waists with water bottles in them.  Yes, I am going to be one of *those* people.  Those people with Gu and Shot Blocks in special little pouches in their shorts, water in one bottle and sports drink in another, wearing a GPS watch and a Road ID, running along as the cars whiz by.  I never thought I would be one of those people, but my Coach has convinced me the water and the fuel are just too important in keeping me healthy and comfortable on the run.

One thing I am determined not to be is one of those runners who always looks unhappy, angry, or in pain.  As I mentioned in my last blog update, sometimes running does hurt, and that's okay.... sometimes.  But I've noticed as I run, as with life in general, if I put a smile on my face things get better. Just attempting a smile makes my feet lighter and my head clearer.  My lungs stop burning, my heart rate goes down, and my pace picks up.  I just feel better all around when I choose to be positive.

So all you angry runners - look out!  I am going to smile at you, and maybe, without thinking about it, you will smile back.  Attitude is everything!

1 comment:

  1. You are sooooo right about that. I watch the runners on the Seawall everyday. 9 out of 10 of them look like they want to kill someone, or that someone just stepped on their baby kitty. Keep it up - you're amazing!

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete