Thursday, March 31, 2011

What Makes a Warrior?

Jumping over fire.  Add that to the list of things I might have said, "Why in the world would you want to do that?" to not so long ago.  
And while we're at it, let's add in sliding down a mud hill.
But last year, a group of old buddys challenged me to race in the Warrior Dash.  Thanks to my competitive streak, I couldn't very well say I was afraid, so into Warrior Dash Austin I went.  And I looked absolutely terrified in every.single.picture.  But at the end of the day, it was just good old play in the mud puddles kiddy fun.  So I signed up again when I found out they were bringing the Dash to Conroe and the same group of Brazoswood Buccaneers ran again.  Plus one - my husband joined us this time.
I got to thinking about Warrior Dash on my run this morning.  The first race, I over-thought it and psyched myself out.  Standing at the starting line I was really worried that the obstacles would be too hard and I would get the dreaded DNC (did not complete).  The day was hotter than the forecast had said it would be and I don't like to race in the heat.  There was the mud to get through and, having just had Lasik, I was worried about getting something in my eye. So at the end of that day, I was glad to have finished, but the fun factor was overshadowed by fear.

This time was different.  Knowing pretty much what I was getting into, I was relaxed and ready to run.  None of us really enjoyed standing at the starting line, thanks to the jerk in the airboat who kept blowing water and shoreline debris at the crowd, but we were all ready to race.  The obstacles were just as challenging, but they were more of a puzzle to figure out than something that I might not be able to do.  I teamed up with my fellow competitors to help each other out when we needed it and finished with a big fat smile on my face.

So, continuing in the line of my last blog update, it's all in your attitude.  Instead of thinking, "Wow, that looks hard.  I'm not sure I can do that," I think "Wow, what a challenge.  What's the first step?" Or as my fitness guru Cathe Friedrich says "Embrace the Challenge". You can do anything, one step at a time.

Start slow, finish strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment